Cherry Tapioca Pudding
1/2 cup sago or tapioca pearls
2 cups water
400g canned pitted cherries
400g can of coconut milk
4 tablespoons sugar/sugar replacement
- Soak the sago in 1 cup of the water in a large mixing bowl for an hour, the sago should expand and become soft.
- Put the soaked sago on medium heat with the coconut milk, make sure to use a large saucepan as the tapioca pearls will still expand considerably
- When boiled take to low heat and add the cherries
- Stir occasionally and keep on low heat for 10 minutes, the sago should expand and take on all the liquid
- Add the second cup of water and the sugar and stir through tapioca.
- Heat for another 5 minutes or until at least 90% the tapioca pearls are entirely transparent, a small number with a white centre is okay, these will take on more liquid while setting.
- Let rest for 10 minutes and spoon into rammikins or moulds, this recipe should be enough to make 4-6 servings.
- If desired line the mould with a thin layer of set Agar based cherry jelly before adding the sago mix.
- Put into a fridge and set over night.
- To serve place the moulds in a warm water bath for 2 minutes and turn out onto a plate.
- If desired use other tinned fruit in syrup for variation or use coconut cream for a richer result.