4 large eggs
2 cups white sugar
3/4 Cup lemon juice (fresh)
1 tbsp lemon zest
- Cut the butter into cubes (1 cm or so is best). If you have no scales 180g is close to 2/3 of a 250g block, these usually have 50g markers on them to help visual cutting
- Put the butter into a heatable bowl with the sugar. The bowl should be glass or metal for preference as it will be used to double boil.
- Zest 2 lemons, add to the bowl.
- Cut the lemons and juice. You may need several lemons for this recipe. Do not use preserved lemon juice as it lacks the acidity required.
- Beat the eggs and lemon juice together and add to the bowl.
- Fill a saucepan halfway with hot water and place on medium heat. Put the bowl on top of the saucepan.
- Stir frequently and ensure that until the butter is melted that the sugar dissolves evenly.
- Do not stop stirring continuously once the mixture is liquid otherwise the egg will turn and the mixture will curdle.
- The mixture is ready when it thickly coats the back of the spoon and/or a splash up the bowl will stay in place.
- Pour into glass jars and seal; keep refrigerated after the jars have cooled.
- Tip: Four Brothers Pasta Sauces come in reuseable Mason Jars which are perfect for preserves and spreads. Soak overnight to remove the labels and clean in very hot water before using.
Post a Comment