|From Lemon Tart
Lemon Curd Pie Filling
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons corn flour
Additional sugar to taste
- Separate the eggs - this recipe uses only the yolks. 3 egg whites is enough to make a good meringue if you wish to make this into a meringue pie.
- Grate the rind of the lemons, then cut in half and juice.
- In a pan melt the butter on very low heat, then add the rind and the cornflour, stirring continuously.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk and continue stirring, note that the mixture will not take on all the butter.
- Slowly add the lemon juice stirring as you pour, the acidity will cause the butter to homogenise into the filling.
- Once all the juice is added and the mixture is a smooth texture add the egg yolks one at a time.
- Use a smooth stirring action and very low heat to ensure the eggs do not curdle.
- Taste and add additional sugar as required, I do not generally use extra sugar as I like a tart filling and the condensed milk takes much of the edge off.
- Continue stirring over a low heat until the mixture is of a consistency desired; ideally a teaspoon should hold its contents upside down for around 2 seconds, more than this will be too thick once it has cooled.
- Spoon into a blind baked pie case and serve on its own or with cream.