Hiyashi Chuka (Cold sesame ramen salad)
1 pack of fresh ramen noodles
1 boiled egg
1/4 cup diced ham or chicken
1/4 cup julienne carrot
1/4 cup julienne cucumber
1/4 cup sweet corn
2 tbspn benishoga pickled red ginger
3 tbspn Japanese rice vinegar
2 tbspn soy sauce
2 tbspn sugar
2 tspn sesame oil
- Buy good quality fresh wheat ramen noodles at your local Asian supermarket like Sun noodles "instant ramen" style noodles will not do this justice
- Follow the instructions on the noodle packet - generally boiling in water for 2 mins until al dente is enough
- Pour your noodles into a strainer and rinse with cold water, this cools the noodles as well as removing the starch.
- You can prepare the noodles early and cool in the fridge but if you do this you should sprinkle with a half tbspn of sesame oil and then shake the oil through the noodles so they do not stick together.
- In a small jar mix the dressing ingredients - vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil. If you cannot find rice vinegar white vinegar will work as a substitute
- Dice your salad vegetables and cold meat and slice your egg
- You can use whatever you have in the fridge - cold meat, vegetables and pickles. This combination of egg, meat, cucumber, corn, carrot and Japanese pickled ginger (benishoga) & eggplant (shibazuke) are classic.
- For a vegetarian / vegan adaptation omit the meat and egg and replace with firm silken tofu and more veges.
- Lay the noodles into a shallow bowl and then arrange the salad ingredients on top - using contrasting colours adds to the effect
- Serve the dressing on the side so that the diners can add at the last minute - this ensures the noodles stay chewy and the salad ingredients crisp and fresh
- Serve with your favourite sushi and a cold drink!
Post a Comment